Unlike most dorky white guys that show up in Japan I got married to a hot Asian woman BEFORE I came here. What kind of job can two American gaijin (foreigners) get in Japan without knowing much Japanese? Teaching English of course! Although we are both teachers we're the ones learning all sorts of strange and interesting life lessons from Japan.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Graduation Sensation

The Japanese love ceremonies. There is a ceremony for graduation, an opening ceremony at the beginning of the school year, a ceremony for the start of each new semester, a closing ceremony for each semester and a ceremony at the beginning of each festival and event.

I went to Rural School #1’s graduation ceremony this year. Not my first choice, except I didn’t have a choice since I was scheduled there by the Board of Education. Hell I’m just happy I didn’t have to go to The Ghost School. First the students file in, a few somber songs are sung, then the principal gives a long winded speech. Not to be outdone the vice principal then gives his oration to the crowd and so on and so on and so on. After the 20th PTA member’s speech the 6th graders finally receive their diplomas.

The most boring offender was the third principal who rambled on monotonously for twenty minutes. I was shocked to see the principal nodding off in the middle of the speech. I look around and several people have their eyes closed and heads back. I’m told later that this is acceptable because the listener is concentrating/meditating not sleeping. That’s great, but I really don’t think the principal was concentrating too hard with this neck slumped back and I could have sworn he was snoring a little. Well the man is in his mid seventies so I give him credit for staying awake as long as he did.

Only 45 graduating 6th graders were at the ceremony but the resourceful Japanese managed to stretch it out for 6 ½ hours. Luckily there were breaks in between for pictures and a meal before more speeches, skits, a video and plenty more pomp and ceremony.

Even I gave an impromptu speech for a few minutes. Using stock phrases of encouragement mixed with some simple English I thanked everyone and asked them to do their best next year as well.

Some people hold a stereotype about the Japanese that they don’t show their emotions. Well these people have never been to a Japanese graduation ceremony. Students, parents and teachers bawled their eyes out continuously throughout the day. At Kim’s junior high school everyone cried as well.

I was swept away by the tide of emotion as well when I was presented with flowers and thank you letters written by the students. I received the same gifts at a two other schools as well, but receiving them during the graduation ceremony was special.

99% of the letters are in Japanese and say roughly the same thing. They thank me for teaching them and assure me that they DO remember what I taught them and that it was fun. I was happily surprised to find some letters in English.


I’m glad he remembers his ABCs at least.


This boy is so thoughtful. Not only did he write me an awesome thank you letter in English he also took the time to translate the sounds in katakana Japanese script over the words. Just in case I forgot how to read English I guess.

In addition to this near perfect letter the 6th grade girl who wrote it also asked me to marry her. I turned her and a couple other emotionally sensitive graduating twelve year olds down gently.

Not all of the love confessions I received the last week of school were from girls. My ethnicity, the age difference, the fact that I’m already married and my sexual orientation doesn’t deter these kids so I don’t know what ever will.

I also received some pictures of me in addition to the letters.


With my glasses on I do sort of look like a FABULOUS Harry Potter.


The effeminate man to the left with the white shirt and purple shoes? Yep that’s me.


This is probably the best non-manga looking portrait I could ask for.

There are also a few doodles of me with some exaggerated body parts I chose out of good taste not to add.

Now Kim and I have nearly two weeks off until the beginning of the school year. Plenty of time to sit under the cherry trees and view the pink blossoms while getting completely shit faced off sake. It’s a Japanese tradition after all right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS harry potter! ROTFLOL!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are gold! We miss you and "Kim" a lot. Maybe we can get a call someday.